Tuesday, May 1, 2012

General Conference 2012: Wesley Covenant and Guaranteed Appointments

With the many changes, discussions and legislation passed this General Conference 2012, I am reminded of the relevance of Wesley's prayer.



I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.


Emphasis above is mine.

As stated on an earlier post HERE, I am rather indifferent to the change.  Or at least I was, until I started to see hundreds of comments from all kinds of clergy and laity.  I know there was a great deal of time and effort put into studying the change.  But, I wonder if we looked at how this would actually be lived out in each Conference.  How do we define effectiveness?  Does each Conference get to choose?  Does the Cabinet and Bishop define?  Maybe each Annual Conference can define.  What happens the first time that one person is held to one standard, and another person held to another standard?   Are there really safeguards?

Again, my hope and prayer is that I am, and will continue to be fruitful and effective in ministry.  And the day that I feel I can no longer be effective as an Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church, I will walk away.  No animosity or anger.  Just peace that I did all I could when I had the opportunity.

Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: