Many of you have already requested information on how to help those in Joplin who experienced a devastating tornado on Sunday. Grace is working on putting together a plan of action and it will be sent to everyone in the next few days. Here are some initial steps you might take-
1. Pray for all of those who lost loved ones, who lost their homes, churches, schools and hospitals. The path of destruction is wide and has cut deep. We believe currently that the district office and two UM churches had major damage.
2. Consider making a donation the American Red Cross or UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief)
3. Consider bringing up items to fill some Red Cross Comfort Kits
Some of the items you can donate are:
Gallon Ziploc bags, small shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, washcloth, kleenex, shaving items, batteries, bottled water, wet wipes, diapers. Drop them off in the church lobby or main office
4. Start praying about future mission trips to Joplin in August and September. Cleaning up will be a long process.
5. Do not attempt to drive down to Joplin to view the damage or try and help. They are requesting certain groups come down and the Red Cross and City are contacting them personally. Do not go to Joplin, please.
6. Pray about opening your home to anyone who might need to relocate for a few months.
7. You may also donate to the relief efforts through Grace by marking "Joplin relief" on your check on envelope.
The size of this event is so vast, that we are partnering with Woods Chapel UMC to provide assistance to Joplin. Look for updates on the church webpage, the church facebook page, Pastor Jeremy's blog, and through direct emails from the church account. All church wide mission efforts to Joplin are being coordinated through the church office in consultation with Pastor Jeremy and our Mission Chair Carmen Kynard.
Thank you and please pray for all those who are suffering.