Friday, February 4, 2011

Faith- Some questions

I just finished an excellent book that had two big aha's statements for me.  They were-
What am I doing right now in my life that requires faith?
If I stopped believing in God today what in my life would be different?
Faith in God cannot be proven like a science experiment.  Faith in God is only evidenced by how much we love. Faith is dead if it does not move to action.  As I ponder those two questions, as you might, some harsh realities must be faced.  We live in the wealthiest country on earth.  Much of what we do in life centers on safety and being comfortable.  It's when we are forced from our bubbles of safety and comfort that we move to a place of necessary faith.  Is your faith necessary to our daily life?  I pray and hope that it is because if not, well, the alternative would be, well, you know.
Ponder with me for a few moments how life should reflect who God has called us to be and what impact that has on daily life.
You get up.  Get ready for work.  Eat breakfast since it's the most important meal of the day.  You drive to work or school.  You arrive and start working or schooling ;0).  In all of that, where was God invited in to your life?
You toil away at work/school and after eight or nine, maybe even twelve hours you head home.  You are greeted by a loving family and spend the next few hours vegging in front of the tv, spending time helping the kids with homework and you then stress about money and bills.  Where is God?
Maybe you prayed a few times.  Maybe you even read the Bible to the kids.  Did anyone you encounter this day realize you are Christian?  How would they know?
Sundays are big days for Christians.  If we make it to church we start the day off right, unless of course we have the normal big fight on the way to church in the car.
At least on Sundays I am good person.  I go to church.  I maybe pray a few times.  I hear Bible passages quoted.  Being a Christian is more than Sundays.  My faith needs to be more than one day a week.  So friends, let us put our faith into action.  Let us live a Christians every day.  Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.  Matthew 5:16

No comments: