The community is urged to get involved with the “Week of Service” opportunities January 8 - 17. Among those opportunities for involvement:
- preparing meals for the residents of Cabrini House and Langsford Home
- participating in the blood drive from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. January 17 at Saint Anne’s Episcopal Church, 1815 NE Independence Avenue, Lee’s Summit
- providing gently used clothing and household items for the First Baptist Church of Lee’s Summit’s “FREE” Garage Sale to be held from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on January 15 at the church located at 2 NE Douglas St., Lee’s Summit
- donating to Lee’s Summit Social Services and One Good Meal using a coupon gift card available at the register of Hy-Vee stores in Lee’s Summit
- helping the families of Hope House by donating to the Blessed to be a Blessing Ministry of New Generation Christian Center to purchase gift cards; call 623-9900 for information. Also, New Generation and New Beginnings Christian Church will have a joint church service on Sunday, January 16, beginning at 4 p.m. at 601 NW Libby Lane.
The week of activities culminates with everyone convening for the citywide Celebration on January 17 in the Pavilion at John Knox Village, 520 NW Murray Road, Lee’s Summit. The celebration begins at 6:30 p.m. with a preshow featuring the Lee’s Summit West High School Jazz Band and cultural exhibits by local students.
The 14th Annual Celebration features performances by music, dance, and vocal groups as well as a slide show of volunteer activities in the City throughout the year.
Reverend Dr. Tom Haley will be the keynote speaker. Rev. Dr. Haley is associate minister of Community Christian Church on the Plaza and was the former senior pastor of Lee’s Summit Christian Church for 25 years. NBC Action News Weekend Anchor Cynthia Newsome will be the mistress of ceremonies and Lee’s Summit Mayor Randall Rhoads will welcome guests to the celebration. There will be a presentation of the flags by the Lee’s Summit High School Air Force Junior ROTC Color Guard and the performance of the national anthem by Lee’s Summit North High School.
The celebration will feature performances by:
- Kiddie Kollege
- Men of Note choir
- Nartan Academy of Dance
- New Generation Mass Movement of Praise
For more information, call (816) 969-1000 or visit the City’s Web site: cityofls.net.