Thursday, August 5, 2010

Personal Spiritual Disciplines

A friend of mine is starting a new journey of faith this month and it centers around his desire to grow deeper and unplug.  You can follow his journey here.  I have talked on numerous occasions about how important it is to grow deeper with God daily.  Some of the things I emphasize are:
Daily Prayer
The Lord's Prayer
The Apostles Creed
Daily Bible Reading.
For me, my daily life for numerous years has included prayer and Bible study.  It is a discipline.  Every day starts with the Lord's prayer and every day for me ends with the Lord's prayer.
Here it is-
Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day, our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever.  Amen.
Try and type that from memory to see if you know it well.
I also daily pray for those in need, my family and friend, other churches, other pastors, hospitals, candidates for ministry, our Bishop, our cabinet and a bunch of other stuff and people.  Prayer is central to my relationship with Christ.
So, that is part of my story.  I hope your story is full of prayer.
Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: