Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Read- Digest- Act

I like to read.  Ok, I love to read.  I read tons of books.  I probably own over 1000 books split between the office and home.  It's a collection I started while in college.  I continue to read.  I like to read new ideas and hear about others ways of doing things.  I rarely read fiction, but I do have my small vices (vince flynn novels).  Anyway, most pastors have lots of books.  Many of them actually read the books.  I know lots of pastors who have read the most brilliant books on ministry.  Right now, we have more information at our fingertips than ever before and yet, we still don't all get it right.  I know people who own every John Maxwell leadership book.  Are they great leaders because they own the books?  Because they read the books?  I don't think so.  Just owning a book does not make you an author or authority on any subject.  Reading the book means hopefully that you have learned something.  It all comes down to practices.  If you can learn something, digest/ponder/think about and figure out how to put it into useful practice, then maybe you can become a great leader or whatever you aspire.  Larry Bossidy would call that "Execution".  David Allen would call that "Getting Things Done".  Adam Hamilton would call that "Leading Beyond the Walls."  Yes, I am staring at all three of those books on my shelf.  I have read them all.  So, just because you have a book or read a book doesn't change anything.  You have to put what you learned into practice.  What about your Bible?  If we read and do nothing, why read?  Read to lead.  Read to learn.  Read to grow.
Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: