Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Opportunities to Share the Gospel

When I started on this journey toward ordained ministry, a wise person once told me, "Whenever asked to share or preach the Gospel, if you can make the time, do so."
Now you would think that we would all jump at the opportunity to preach or share the Gospel, but there are days when it feels like you've worked for 20 days straight with no break.  Self care is something that all, I mean all my pastor friends and I always struggle with, especially in regard to new opportunities.  Some of us just don't know how to say no.
A few years ago, a local group was desperate for someone to come share a devotion at their local meeting.  It was on a Monday, and well, Monday mornings are tough for me.  It's the beginning of the new week and Monday's can indicate how Sunday's will go.
After some back and forth I said yes.  So over the past four years I have been sharing a devotion whenever asked by this group.  If I am in town, I am there.
I have a chance to preach next week at Institute in Kansas at Baker University.  It's a spiritual life growth week for teens.
When I started this journey I would not have listened to that advice given to me because it was way outside my comfort zone.  We are constantly bombarded by struggle, tragedy and grief.  If we can't offer ourselves daily to God and to others then what are we doing?  There are days when all the bad stuff gets to us.  But there are also days when we see the good.  Joy and love are around us always and yet, it's tough to see.  When given the opportunity and if someone asks, go.  Go therefore and make disciples of all people.
Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: