Monday, June 7, 2010

Don't Go It Alone

Most people who go it alone in ministry do not last. They burnout. Why? We need connection. We need conversation. We need perspective. I do not have all the answers. I do not know everything. Friends and colleagues in ministry are a great resource for keeping me accountable and helping me find my way. It's a reflective relationship because I too can help others. It's not just about me. I've often heard that going to a church you have never been to before is like going to someone else's family reunion. And for those new to Annual Conference, that too might feel like going to a family reunion where you don't know everyone. Each one of us should take note of radical hospitality that has been in the culture of our conversations these past few years. John Wesley was someone who helped make connections between God and neighbor. Every day we are making connections. It's tough to make connections if you go it alone. Open your hearts and minds and seek God's leading in your life today. Be a person that makes connections. Today is a day you might meet someone who needs to know that God loves them. Will you be too busy hanging with your own family (close personal connections) or can you be that person that lights up the darkness?
Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: