Monday, May 17, 2010

What Is Church To You?

Some of us treat church like a restaurant. We go when we are hungry. Other than that, we go for weeks without considering, praying, worshipping or growing. And sometimes, when we feel as if the meal wasn't good, we go someplace else.
I love Chick Fil A. It is probably one of my favorite restaurants. Ok, probably my favorite. The nuggets are the BEST! No it's not something that is weekly due to location. But, if I am near one, BAM, I am there.
Every now and then, the nuggets are a little too cooked. But does that stop me? No. I go back.
I have received incorrect orders from Chick Fil A. Does that deter me. No. I love Chick Fil A. Again, my favorite restaurant. There is really nothing they can do to keep me away.
I know some treat church as a restaurant they like, but if the service is not what they expect, well then, "we aren't going back there again".
We need to find a place where we fit.
My guess is, that most churches provide spiritual nourishment. It's a matter of flavor and taste. There is no need to be rude about it. Some people like certain things. That is ok. But it's not ok to gripe or to become angry about the flavors. Maybe you should get in there and do a bit of the cooking. When you find yourself treating the body of Christ like a fast food restaurant, especially one that you expect to deliver things "your way", stop. Take a moment. Pause. Why are you here? What are doing? And, what does God expect of you?
Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: