Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Good Friends

Yesterday I had a chance to be in fellowship with five of my pastor colleagues. Over the past 9 months we have been studying preaching. We all hope to become better preachers, to share the Word more effectively. We read six books on preaching and we finished up yesterday. I have not been in "school" for ten years. I graduated from seminary in 2000. It seems like yesterday, and well, seems like forever ago. Over these past few years I continue to read and study. I enjoy reading. I pound through three or four books a week sometimes. But sitting with other clergy and discussing our preaching styles, other preaching styles and just being in fellowship has been one of the most rewarding experiences in ministry. We each presented one of the books and then we shared a copy of one of our sermons. All the sermons were well though out, well researched and truly inspired. I learned a few things and stories I did not know. In our conversation we all gained a better respect for our situations and our desire to serve. Look around you. Do you have a small group? If not, get into one. I have been apart of numerous small groups in my life. If you are a Christian and need help with your walk, find a good small group. If you can't find one, make one. Studying together is deeply helpful to our journey of faith. I love the passage from Acts 2:42-
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship.

Be devoted to God and one another.
Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: