Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Church Rules Just Don't Work For Me Anymore

Many churches have rules in place for building use. Many of those rules are based in keeping people from using the building. Namely, the fees for use. Sometimes rules are meant to control. Other times, they are used to protect. Rules sometimes are rules just to have rules. And then there are policies. I wonder if many churches go about the task of writing rules and policies for the good of the community? For the good of the lost? For the good of those who might come next week? Some policies are good, some bad. Safe Sanctuary- good. Building use, not sure. Church rules are usually beneficial to members of the church as opposed to non-members. There is a huge distinction. If you are member you are treated this way....and a non-member, well you are treated a different way. Why? I have several answers bouncing around in my head, especially in regard to weddings and funerals. I am praying about this at Grace. I am praying about this alot! I think if we are going to change perceptions of church we might need to rethink how we approach church rules and policies. If you have been on the wrong end of these rules or policies at our church or another church, I am sorry. I am deeply sorry. Look for some changes in Grace over the next few months and years. I think you will all be pleasantly surprised.
Go in peace and go with God.

1 comment:

youngshepherd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.