Thursday, August 13, 2009

Meteor Showers

This week was the Perseid meteor shower. Basically the earth is running through a debris field of stuff left over from a comet named Swift-Tuttle. Every August we pass through the debris field and we see some really cool streaks of light across the sky. For the record, I was up at 12 am watching and I was able to see 5 streaks of light (meteors). It was pretty cool I must say. I did not stay up much past midnight, but I had to get out there and see the wonder of creation given to us by our everlasting God. It was beautiful. As the meteor shower grew closer this week I started reading "A Briefer History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. A rather interesting read for me, but none the less, quite fruitful. There is so much beauty around us and yet as you drive in traffic it is really difficult to see. Grab a lawn chair and sit outside tonight instead of watching tv. You probably have a dvr and if it's that important you can record it and watch it later. If you don't watch it later...was it that important? The meteor shower is over but you can still see stars, planets, satellites and a bunch of other cool stuff. Experience some of the beauty of creation given to us by God. Look up to the skies. From Genesis 26- 4 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, 5 because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws."
Imagine Abraham looking up to the sky. At that time in history, there was a much better chance of seeing "all" of the stars in the sky. We see only a glimpse due to our city lights.
Get out there! Look out there! Search the skies. Inspiration will come.
Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: