Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Building the Family of God

Again, thanks for all the cards, emails, calls and prayers as I continue to recover. We started a new sermon series this past week and I hope you will be able to join us this Sunday as we continue. On Sunday we discussed the passage from Joshua where we hear "as for me and my house, we will SERVE the Lord." Serving the Lord has multiple meanings, but as I spoke I became keenly aware that the sermon was more like three or four sermons into one. That is what happens when a pastor is off for a few weeks.
But the main point I really wanted to focus on might have been lost in it all. That point is: serving the Lord is your choice. That's it. Pretty simple really. The passage from Joshua says to me- you can follow the gods of this world, you can follow a trail of money, you can focus on yourself, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
A powerful statement to be sure.
We are faced with this choice every day. Do I pursue the desires and wants that tempt me, or can I walk in the other direction...toward God, toward hope and toward glory.
Over these next few weeks I hope you join us for our conversations about building God's family. God's family is an amazingly diverse and loving crowd of people. Hopefully, you will make that choice to follow God, to serve the Lord and to make a change in your life.

No comments: