Thursday, April 2, 2009

Why doesn't every seed grow?

We ordered seeds this year so we could grow our own tomato plants. My job was to actually plant the seeds. So in each area that had been prepared with seed starter soil mix I placed a single seed. I probably planted over 90 seeds so far. At least 3-5 per variety. The grow lights were placed, water was added and within a few weeks, the plants began to grow. Wow. It was working. Many plants came up and we continue to take care of them. Also planted peppers and herbs. A funny thing happened that I did not anticipate. Some of the seeds did not grow. I was a little frustrated. We had prepared the soil. Placed the seed in the soil at the same depth as the other seeds. I gave the seed water and light and yet, no growth. I estimate that this year probably 10% of the seeds did not grow. They did nothing. They just sat there in the soil and refused to grow, despite having adequate light, good soil and water. They denied their purpose! How does that happen? I turn to the Gospel of Matthew chapter 13and read "A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9He who has ears, let him hear." Where is my hundred, sixty and thirty times that seed??? In a world where baseball players are considered to be the best of the best if they bat .300+, in other words, .700 they strike out, fly out, etc... and that right now a return of 1-3% on your money in the bank is considered to be a real win... I guess my percentages of growing seeds are not that bad. Sometimes you can do all the right things, the conditions seem favorable and yet for some reason things don't work out. Many of us have "off" days where the world seems to be crashing down around us. That is when I need to remember that it is by faith that I live. I live by faith and I read, "We live by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7 and "the just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. So if I want to be a just and spiritually healthy person I need to quit getting upset when every little seed in my world that I plant does not grow. Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: