Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Holy Tuesday

Western Church scripture-Isaiah 49:1-6; Psalm 71:1-6, 71:15, 71:17; 1 Corinthians 1:18-31; and John 13:21-33, 13:36-38.
Eastern Church scripture- Matthew 25:1-30 (Parable of the Ten Virgins and Talents)


If you examine the Gospels there are several "teachings" that are shared by Jesus between the triumphal entry and the Last Supper (located usually on Thursday). So this Holy Tuesday I find in Matthew the seven woes. Tomorrow I will focus on the signs of the end of the age, but today the seven woes. Matthew 23:1-39. Woe to the teachers of the law, the blind guides of Israel. Matthew writes this many years later as he reflects back upon that Holy Week and now is writing to a Christian community. The woe's basically are an indictment against the religious community that say one thing and do another. Hypocrites he says. He ends with, "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord."
Over those days following the entry he teaches in Jerusalem. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all devote massive passages to those teachings. So as we continue through Holy Week, do your words match your deeds? I say I believe, but do we live that out every day? I love God and love my neighbor but DO I love God and love my neighbor? This day continue to work on those places in your heart that need to be cleaned out.
Go in peace and go with God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.