Thursday, April 30, 2009

Flat head vs. Phillips head screws

This past week I had to change out some blinds in the house. The old ones had broken and as I pulled them down I saw it. The dreaded and often frustrating way others hang things. It was the flat head screw. Yes, tried and true, and has been around for probably centuries, the flat head screw requires a little bit of extra effort to rid it from it's hold. So I went to work, slipping and sliding, back and forth and finally they were all out. I prefer the Phillips head, which was named after Henry Phillips, who had a patent on it, but it was so hugely popular that in 1949 he lost the patent. Wouldn't it be great to create something that is so widely copied and so popular that the government decides that your patent can't be renewed. Wow. And yet, even in it's true superiority there are still people who use the flat head screw. I personally can see no use for it outside the occasion electrical box, etc. I mean really, the Phillips is a far superior product and is much easier to use. I used my screw gun to attach the new blinds and it was quite effortless. Yes, I should have used the screw gun to pull the other blinds down, but I so infrequently use the flat head bit, I wouldn't know where to find it. So, I know some people who are still hanging on to some things they should just let go of, namely, the flat head screw. Give it up. The Phillips is FAR SUPERIOR. Just end it. Let it be. Move on to the new, the amazing Phillips, or maybe, get crazy and move on to the Pzivriv (which you probably call a Phillips).
Alright, for those of you who know me, I'm not just talking about screws and screwdrivers.
Is there something that you thought used to work in your life and now needs a fix or change?
Think about it. Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: