Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Patience

Do you have patience? The fruit of the spirit listed in Galatians 5:22-23 says "22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Now I am not going to explain these as an exhaustive list of fruit or put together a deep theological article, no, not today. Today I want to focus on patience. Many days I feel I am rather impatient. I have to work on being a patient person. This means that in a society that says that we can everything we want or desire, that the world revolves around me and that the speed at which I receive or achieve things is important I must say that good things come to those who wait. I waited years to find my true love. I waited years to see the fulfillment and confirmation of a call to ministry (1994 call came, ordained 2003). By nature, Christians should be rather patient. But we are not. We allow the culture, work, relationships to be bombarded by time constraints and impatience. I have witnessed people tear out of a line at the drive thru when the line is moving to slow. I have seen people walk away from a movie theater because there were 10 people in line in front of them. If we all learned to be a bit more patient the world would be a much more sane and happy place. I know, I know, we all have deadlines to meet and I am not by any means pushing that nasty practice of PROCRASTINATION. By no means. What I would love to see is everyone actually take some time to spend waiting on the Lord. God delivers amazing blessings and miracles to us all and yet, there are days we are so busy, so distracted that we are unable to see or recognize them. One last story. Last year I was involved in a vehicle accident. Just to remind you, I was sitting at a red light and it turned green. I pulled away and a woman driving a Ford Explorer hit me from behind driving approximately 45 miles an hour. My truck and me were rather injured to say the least. It took around four weeks to receive my truck back. And what I find interesting is that the thing that took the longest time was straightening the frame. Dave Roe's took several weeks making very very small, fraction of an inch corrections to the frame. Sometimes it takes times to fix things. So, if you are waiting on the Lord or waiting for something to happen here is some advice. Pray. Listen. Pray some more. And then do whatever you can to help the blessing or miracle to happen. Oh yeah, did I mention pray? And faithfully and hopefully wait upon the Lord. Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: