Friday, February 20, 2009

The Sky is Falling

We are in uncertain times. What we have become accustomed to seems to be slipping away. Change continues to bring fear and worry. Doom and gloom are clearly spouted every day from numerous sources. Jobs are gone. Money is gone. Confidence is gone. It's difficult to trust in what people used to trust in. Things change. I've recently heard "worst ever", "years to get out of this mess". The nature of things these days touches some of us in a very personal way. So, how does a loving Christian deal with such times. I turn to read Paul's description of his troubles and how he dealt with hard times. "I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked." 2 Corinthians 11
I often have to remind myself that the person who suffered so much also is reported to have written this- "4Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; 5in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; 6in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; 7in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; 8through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; 9known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; 10sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything. " 2 Corinthians 6
No matter what came his way, he tried to do good. After accepting Christ, Paul endured great hardships. He tried to lift the spirits of others up.
Today I have a choice. I can choose to be fearful, full of worry and anxiety or I can try and encourage others during times of trouble. I can help those in need. I can choose to not focus on myself, but focus on being a positive and joyful influence and be there for my neighbor. So today, live on!
Go in peace and go with God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.