Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pride and Arrogance

A good friend of mine once said that when entering the pulpit "all preachers need a little bit of arrogance." I pushed him on that statement and asked if he really meant confidence. He said no, arrogance. That started a rather year long debate in preaching class about the meaning of words and how we approach the task of preaching. To this day, my friend still believes this statement. He is long out of ministry, no longer serving the church, but he is holding fast to his beliefs. Personally, I believe that pride and arrogance have no place in the hearts and minds of Christians. Peter says this, "All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." He is actually quoting on old proverb. Jesus talks about humility a great deal also. So I guess for me, maybe pride and arrogance are things that each one of us has to fight or struggle against. Usually pride and arrogance dig deep into our hearts and when they have a chance to take credit for something that we have done or God has done through us, they stand up and proclaim their victory. I would like to think that most of the great ideas that I have are not from me. They are due to an unwavering focus on God's purpose for my life. So daily I listen to God, my friends, church leaders and family. My hope is as I listen that I might be able to determine the best path for my life and the life of our church. Go in peace and go with God.

No comments: