Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Another Snow Day

'Twas several days before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse; except two dogs who needed to go outside. (Yes I said two, we are dog sitting for some family, so there is Rheau and Penny). The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;The dogs were nestled all snug in their beds,While visions of bacon and dog bones danced in their heads;And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter (actually, we heard and saw nothing),I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.(I didn't really spring, Rheau was bugging me to get up. Jill had left for work and Rheau needed to go outside). Away to the window I flew like a flash (stumbled sleepily, is that a word?),Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but someone had struck one of our beautiful trees in the front yard. No there was not a note, no phone call, no knock on the door, "Hey man, sorry about your tree". Just the evidence of someone driving carelessly. So I called the authorities and they took their report. Prayerfully I await for the scofflaw to be a good sport. Admit your mistake and move on joyfully through the season, and have a clear conscience knowing it was an accident, without rhyme or reason. Oh yeah, Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight.

No comments: