Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2008

Seven years later we all remember where we were, what the tv showed and how we felt. There are images that have stayed with some of us. We see them every year as MSNBC reairs those frightening first few hours. We seemed so innocent, not being able to fathom that someone in this world would do such a thing. It was a wake up call in numerous ways. Seven years ago I knew little about terrorists in the Middle-East. I knew very little of how much hate there was toward the U.S. I don't feel by any means that I was ignorant of such things, but I was 27 years old and was more concerned with paying off student loans from grad school and trying to do my best in my first few years of full time service. It's interesting how much events far away can completely change our worldview. Today we honor the memory of the innocent and the brave. We pray for the families who have lost loved ones. I ask all to spend a few moments today praying for all of them. Patriot Day as it has become known helps us remember the sacrifice that others have made so that we might live. There is no greater gift than to lay down your life for your friend. The public servants who lay down their lives for strangers were selfless in their acts of heroism. None considered themselves heroes but they were and they will always be remembered for their sacrifice. God bless all this day.

No comments: