Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Shack- Book Review

Last week I was handed a book called "The Shack" by William Young. A member asked me to read it and then let her know what I thought. I have been handed many books over my short few years and I usually enjoy the books. If you don't know, I love to read. I am not a huge fan of fiction, but I enjoy a variety of authors and books. This book is a work of fiction and over the past 18 months has become a huge underground hit. Word of mouth and friends handing friends books because they are excited about what they read. I have been mulling over my response to the book. The struggle is how to share the excitement of Young's story telling and my own personal enjoyment of the characters, then turning to a disection of the theological underpinnings and reasoning out the orthodox and rather un-orthodox views of God. Without giving away the entire plot here I will say a few words about the book.
1. It's a work of fiction but suggests that it's a real story (all great fiction books do this)
2. The main character is a well thought out, realistic portrayal of a father who has suffered a great loss and blames himself for the inability to protect his children.
3. The main character after suffering a great loss encounters God in very unique and extraordinary ways.
4. The descriptions of God are rather interesting, original, maybe off-putting to some but are valid in regard to the style of story-telling.
5. Those descriptions do not follow any major orthodox view of God.
6. The book challenges traditional views of God
7. If you have lost someone in your life close to you, it will provide some answers and help the grieving process.

This is a first and rather brief view of the book. I plan on leading a few small groups to help process and discuss some of the views of God expressed in the book. Watch the church e-news and bulletin for more info. Probably have those groups in September. If you are searching for a great, quick read, I would 100% recommend reading "The Shack".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeremy V. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.